Acronym for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture.
Unofficial wiki: http://alsa.opensrc.org/index.php/Main_Page
The Advanced Linux Sound Architecture (ALSA) provides audio and MIDI functionality to the Linux operating system. ALSA has the following significant features:
- Efficient support for all types of audio interfaces, from consumer soundcards to professional multichannel audio interfaces.
- Fully modularized sound drivers.
- SMP and thread-safe design.
- User space library (alsa-lib) to simplify application programming and provide higher level functionality.
- Support for the older OSS API, providing binary compatibility for most OSS programs.
ALSA is superceding the OSS api as the sound driver set for the LinuxKernel in 2.6.